Importing terrain from Google Earth to Rhinoceros
By edvin. Updated 1 year, 11 months ago. 19,945 unique views.
How to create contour lines from Google Earth's terrain model via Google SketchUp Pro 7.
- Open Google Earth zoom in to the area you want to export
- Open SketchUp Pro go to Tools > Google Earth > Toggle Terrain then Tools > Google Earth > Get Current View
- File > Export > 3D Model and under format choose .3ds
- Open Rhinoceros 3D and import the .3ds mesh
- Drape the mesh with a spacing value of 1 This step is done since the mesh you get from SketchUp often results in messy contour lines, especially if you have imported multiple views from Google Earth
- Turn the surface into a mesh. Make sure to refine the mesh. Some times Rhino can work directly with the drape, if that is the case for you, this step is unnecessary.
- Use the Contour tool on the surface or mesh
After these procedures you should have a nice looking 3D contour model in Rhino.